To view a useful document on how to set up SIMS parent, please click here.
There are two electronic methods for parents/carers to keep informed about their child, Google Classroom Guardian Summaries and the SIMS Parent App.
Google Classroom Email Summaries
Allows you to be able to view homework set for your child and in some cases keep you up to date on what they are currently studying
As a parent/guardian, you must receive and accept an email invitation before you can receive email summaries.
- An administrator emails you an invitation for a particular student, it will be from an @homewood.kent.sch.uk address.
- They will send it to the primary email address on our system.
- In your email program, open your email invitation.
- Click Accept
- If you’re not the guardian, click I’m Not The Guardian.
- (Optional) To access the email summary settings page, you will need to create a google account. By default, you will receive weekly updates but this can be changed to daily updates if you create a google account.
7. When you accept an invitation, you, your student, and the person who invited you (the teacher or administrator) receives an email confirmation.
SIMS Parent App
Shares with you information such as attendance, school reports and student achievement for your child. You can also access, review and request changes to information held on your child.
This is a two stage process – you are required to register first and then install the SIMS Parent App on your smart phone or device (or just use the website, if you prefer).
- You would have received an activation email from email@example.com to the primary email address we have on our system (check junk mail). Simply click on the link from your tablet, PC or smartphone to activate your account.
- You can then login using your normal Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft username and password (do not login with your SIMS ID).
- From your smartphone or tablet, download the app from the Google Play or Apple App store – search for SIMS Parent.
4. From a PC or Windows phone, login online at www.sims-parent.co.uk
If you have not received an enrolment email to google classroom or the SIMS App please contact the school at: ParentSupport@homewood.kent.sch.uk.
Checking for Homework using Google Calendar
All homework is set via google classroom. Once set, homework is automatically recorded on a student’s google calendar so the homework and due date can be viewed.
In google classroom select the icon with three lines at the top left of the screen or in google chrome click the 9 dots in the top right-hand corner of your browser.
A menu will drop down and the second option should be to view the student calendar.
The calendar will display all homework and perhaps some classwork set and the due date. The work will be clearly identified as homework or classwork in the description.
This is a far easier way to know what homework has been set rather than going through all the notifications in the Gmail inbox or looking in each classroom