Homewood Grammar Plus Stream
The aim of the Grammar Plus Stream is to provide our students with an outstanding ‘Grammar-style’ education within a comprehensive school. We firmly believe in outstanding teaching and learning, high expectations, adequate challenges but most importantly, that all students are capable of excellence.
Students will opt for their GCSEs at the end of Year 8 and whilst they may follow a traditional pathway, they have access to the full range of Homewood’s curriculum which is renowned Nationally for its breadth.
Therefore students can combine a challenging academic curriculum, including Triple Science, Statistics and two languages, with courses which allow them to follow their passions, whether that is in the Performing or Creative Arts, Business or one of the technical subjects such as Catering or Construction. This is simply something grammar schools cannot offer.
Overseen by the Head of Discovery College, the Co-ordinator of the Grammar Plus stream monitors the curriculum provision, working with partner Grammar Schools to ensure the experience for students is of the highest possible standard.
The Homewood Grammar Plus Stream Ethos
- The aim of the Grammar Plus Stream is to provide our students with an outstanding ‘Grammar-style’ education within a comprehensive school.
- We firmly believe in outstanding teaching and learning, high expectations, adequate challenges but most importantly, that all that all students are capable of excellence.
- We work together as a team to help students explore their strengths and weaknesses and to maximise their potential to the best of their abilities.
How is it different to traditional Grammar Schools?
- The Grammar Plus Stream classes are in a mixed setting. Most Grammar Schools local to Homewood are single sex schools.
- Students in the GPS can enjoy the wide range of curriculum opportunities Homewood offers. Students are able to engage in subjects they are passionate about.
- One of the GPS classes will study Mandarin and sign up for the Mandarin Excellence Programme, which is a commitment to studying Mandarin until Year 11.
- Students who do not study Mandarin in the GPS will do both French and German but will still have the opportunity to study Mandarin in Year 9 as a GCSE.
Why choose the Homewood Grammar Plus Stream?
- The programme is offered to the highest mean scorers in both the 11+ and Homewood Test.
- Our aim is to ensure that the GPS students are not segmented from the rest of the school. They are simply a small part of the whole school community.
- Classes remain intact for English, Maths and Science but are taught in mixed ability groups for their option subjects up until Year 11.
- Homewood provides a wide range of clubs and extracurricular activities to all students. Students within the Grammar Plus Stream will be able to take full advantage of everything on offer.
- Further enrichment and extension activities will also be offered to all Grammar Plus students for further challenges and motivation.
- Many of the GPS equivalent students are securing places at a Russell Group University.
Difference between a Grammar Plus Stream class and a traditional Homewood class
- Pupils who have passed the Kent test or the Homewood test will have the ability to cope with an enhanced curriculum compared to other classes at Homewood.
- Grammar Plus Stream students will be following the same syllabus. However, they will have an enhanced curriculum, with challenging tasks and extra-curricular as well as cross-curricular activities. The Grammar Plus Stream will also provide and expect an ethos of high challenge and academic rigor for all its students.
Routes to get into the Homewood Grammar Plus Stream
All routes into the Grammar Plus Stream are dependent on Kent County Council offering Homewood as your chosen secondary school, so it is important that you place Homewood as your secondary school of choice.
A student who sits, and passes the Kent Test (or equivalent tests) will be offered an automatic, guaranteed place in the Grammar Plus Stream. Parents just need to send us evidence of the scores received by their child. The scores need to be submitted prior to 1st March 2019.
A student who sits, and passes the Homewood Test will be offered an automatic, guaranteed place in the Grammar Plus Stream.
A student who sits the Kent Test, but narrowly misses passing will often be eligible for a place in the Grammar Stream. Parents in this situation need to send us the scores so that we can decide whether a Grammar Plus place is appropriate for that individual child. The scores need to be submitted prior to 1st March 2019.
Places will be confirmed after national offers are in the first week of March 2019 or during the Homewood Induction Week in early July 2019.
For further information and queries, please contact Ms Shabana Raman, Co-ordinator of the Grammar Plus Stream
Testimonials from some of our first ever Grammar Plus Stream students!!
“It has been amazing!!! When I found out that I hadn’t passed my 11+ I was really disappointed but then I did the Homewood test …AND I SMASHED IT!!!!! My first few days here has been great I’m so happy to be at this school!” Sarah J
“It is daunting at first going to a big school with loads of people, but it’s so fun and everyone is so kind and helpful, all the teachers are so kind to. It’s such a good school.” Freya C
“I have been in a normal class and the Grammar Stream. I was welcomed into my new class with a good form tutor. The experience you get in the Grammar Stream will be better as you get pushed to work harder.” Harvey E
“My experience as a Grammar Plus student has been life changing. Over the last week I’ve made new friends and had so much fun doing the work. Yes the work might be challenging but that’s the best part of it!” Milly H
“I’m enjoying being a Grammar Plus student, even when I got separated from my primary school friends. I’ve made lots more and I’m having fun with all the challenging lessons and tasks.” Edward V
“I feel extremely privileged to be in the Grammar Stream because it means we get to learn more exciting things! I also feel happy about being in the grammar stream because I like being in a Grammar School without actually being in a Grammar School.” Mina A
“This school is amazing because I failed my 11 plus but I’m still in a grammar school technically.” Finley K
“All the teachers are really nice and if you get in, you are very lucky.” Zachary R
“Not passing the eleven plus was devastating but getting into the Grammar Plus Stream at Homewood is a lifetime experience.” Lily J
“My experience is amazing in the Grammar Stream because I feel like I’m in a real Grammar School.” Hollie K
“I am finding the grammar stream really FUN and i am very happy that I applied to be in and they ACCEPTED so please apply!!!!” Joshua U
“My experience so far has been great! The teachers have been very kind and helpful and the students are very nice. Also, the lessons are very fun!” Evie W
“Even though I didn’t pass the eleven plus, I am still in the Grammar Plus set at Homewood school. I am having a wonderful time here at Homewood.” Poppy B
“It was worrying at first but you can get over it. It is fun doing Mandarin. It is complicated but it is easy after a couple of lessons. There is a lot of homework but it definitely helps you in class.” Russell D
“Even though that I passed the Kent test, I feel that Homewood Grammar Stream helps me to be the best I can be and challenges me in the way a Grammar School would.” Isabel L